Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Training for Tuesday - Goodbye ClassPass

There's a lot that I'm leaving behind as I leave Portland and look out upon my new life in Memphis, Tennessee.

One of those things is the latest best thing that's ever happened to me. 


You've seen me talk about it before and now you're going to obnoxiously witness me whining and whimpering about how much I miss the barre classes, the yoga classes, the TRX classes, the new to me classes and the Pound classes. Oh, the Pound classes!

Don't forget all of those amazing fitness instructors and studio owners who make me want to change my career in the near future. 

Now that this door closes, I've got great plans to take what I've learned from these classes, instructors and experiences to my new fitness life. I've experienced workouts that are fun, sweaty, functional, peaceful, calming, meditative, collaborative, adventurous and mine!

I'm going to get into my new fitness routine day one of my new residency. It's going to be easy to break a sweat with the 80-degree lows and 85% humidity - compared to Portland's 35% humidity - but I'm talking about gaining muscle and finding my new lifestyle.

My first order of business is to get a cheap and dirty gym membership where I can try out all of those impressive booty circuits I see on Instagram. While I'm not on the road yet, I've already scouted a new barre studio that opened this week and is offering free classes through mid-July. I've been subscribing to all of my favorite YouTube Yogi's and refreshing my knowledge on how to Om at Home thanks to Alyssa.  There was even a 1-minute solid headstand in there.

While I acclimate to the heat and the "new", I'll be bugging ClassPass like crazy on social media and begging them to come to Memphis. That's the same way I've been hounding Trader Joe's for a few months and will be the biggest supporter of the Bring Trader Joe's to Memphis Facebook group.

Oh! Don't forget how much water I'll need to drink to stand up against the humidity!

Any tips you southern ladies can share about fitness in the South?

Training for Tuesday as always with Alyssa and Tracy!



7 comments

Helene in Between said...

i think you will fit right in! and if you ever need a friend you can just drive up and see me in Nashville!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm probably as sad as you are about your having to leave this community of fitness awesomeness, but I know you're clever and motivated enough to figure something out in Memphis! If I can ever help you to better Om at Home, you know how to reach me ;) and if you give me an address, I will write a letter to someone at Class Pass and help you lobby them to open up shop in your new city.
(PS, we're going to be like 2/3 of a country closer in like... a few days. WOAH. Since your FaceTime calendar will open up some, let me know when you can pencil me in <3)

BLovedBoston said...

You know you take fitness seriously when you've already scouted new locations!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

Nadine said...

I can some up fitness in the south with one word - SWEAT. Get used to being soaked within five minutes of doing any kind of cardio. And be glad you are just at 85% humidity and not the 99% we sit at here in Alabama 95% of the time. Gross. I just love how you have scouted out your plan already though! That is awesome!

Tracy said...

Ah it's so hard leaving somewhere you've laid down so many fitness roots! I hope you find a fitness home in Memphis that you love as much as Portland. It sounds like you have a pretty good plan in place to make that happen!

Jenn @ Optimization Actually said...

Way to get it all planned out before you even move! Ugh, humidity. The east coast isn't quite as bad as the south, but it's more than I want.

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

they dont have a trader joes?! what will you eat?
ehh.. i'm a weirdo and i like the humidity!