Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Marks of Mud

This past weekend was a blast for me and two of my great friends Brad and Brooke as we traveled north to explore Southwestern Canada and more importantly to participate in the Tough Mudder Vancouver race!


When we first committed to the race it was late October of 2011 and 8 months later here we were at Whistler Olympic Park on June 24th at 6:15 in the morning.


Tough Mudder is "probably the toughest event on the planet" with hardcore 10-12 mile obstacle courses designed by British Special Forces to test all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie. Obstacles included a quarter pipe, jumping into a frozen-over lake, electric shock and good old fashioned pavement stomping on the back logging roads of the still icy mountain.


While the 3 hour duration of the course itself was a gut-check, I want to share some of my findings from the adventure:




  • True friends will push your butt over walls, cheer you on and get shocked while running through a field of live wires with you

  • Complete strangers will help you out of water that jolts your entire system

  • Running up a hill will never again be looked at as an obstacle

  • Body weight alone is the weight one should be able to lift

  • I wouldn't have been able to do what I had done if I hadn't lost 17lbs since April 5th.

  • I bruise easily

  • Bananas digest well mid-workout

  • Brooke Smith went Beast Mode on the Monkey Bars and Berlin Walls

  • "Call Me Maybe" is an unfortunately catchy song with fun internet meme's for days

  • I could see myself living in Seattle

  • I'm in the right mindset to complete the Portland 2012 Marathon!

  • I would do another Tough Mudder. No question.


GAME FACES


Image


And after, here we are before we hit possibly the worst part of the day - the ice cold showers!


Image


My 2008-09 Portland State Softball shoes - so happy to say goodbye!


Image


<3 JE

6 comments

Warrior | JESSI said...

[...] you’ve been following my blog from the start, you’d know that I’m no stranger to muddy and crazy athletic [...]

2012, We Had Fun! | JESSI EVEN said...

[...] Tough Mudder 2012 in Whistler, Canada with Brad and Brooke!! [...]

February’s Eight Great Goals | JESSI EVEN said...

[...] 8. Log four 10-mile runs in preparation for my second #ToughMudder (first mudder here). [...]

Countdown: Tough Mudder | JUMPING JE said...

[...] you want to check out my take-aways from last year, visit one of the very first posts ever written on this [...]

Weekend Links: Tough Mudder Style | JUMPING JE said...

[…] will be my second Tough Mudder event and I’ll be joining my wonderful friends Brooke and her man friend Brad, […]

b said...

This is incredible. I hope one day I can accomplish something this badass! Congratulations!!!

I've had friends do it, and become addicted after doing the first one. One day for me, maybe....