Tuesday, June 18, 2013

TED Tuesday: Ask for Thanks

My favorite day is here, TED Talk Tuesday!


First Question: How often do you say "Thank You"?


You say it genuinely and with purpose, don't you? You say it when people provide you a service, you say it when you receive a gift you love or don't even like. You say it to your co-workers for giving you a hand and you probably even say thank you when your boss or someone in power gives you more work, just like I do.


You say it when your spouse or significant other does the laundry, and not only does the laundry but folds/steams your clothes and lays them neatly on the bed. (Thank you, Dan). 


Better Question: How often do you ask someone to say "Thank You" for something you've done?


....no, me either. And why don't we?


I believe I'm worthy of a "thank you" for working 12 hours non-stop yesterday. My soul would benefit from a "thank you" for being a cheerleader, a motivator, a hard-worker, an innovator, a risk-taker, a leader, a voice, a heart, a scratching post - so why don't I ask for it?


It's not my nature to reveal myself to people and give them a view of what I need emotionally. In the video below, Laura Trice nails it on the head when she says that the reason we find it scary to ask for thanks is because someone could neglect us, they could abuse the information, or they could actually meet our need and change the way we feel. terrifying.


Ask for thanks when you do chores, ask for thanks when you go the extra mile, and make sure that you're asking your loved ones what they need thanks for. It matters.


In today's short and sweet TED talk, Laura takes three minutes of your time and asks you to "true your wheels" and be honest about the praise you need to hear. I recommend watching more than once.


Thank you, readers - your support means the world to me!


[ted id=349]


TED Talks: Ideas Worth Spreading


heart JE

5 comments

brooke lyn said...

thanks thanks thanks for being my friend, Jessi Bova ;)

Jessi said...

Anytime, Brooke Snook! <3

Lizzie D said...

I make sure my children say "Thank you". Thank YOU for sharing these talks!

Jessi said...

I love when I can tell children have been taught proper manners, thank you for making meaningful contributions to society via your offspring ;)

Jessi from iPhone

pechluck (@pechluck) said...

This post really made me sit back and think as I was sitting on the Max yesterday morning. I say Thanks all the time, probably a few times daily, but I hardly hear it at work. It made me think of a book I recently read that talked about how people just assume women are naturally nurturing and we WANT to do these things, so there is no need to feel like they have done something extra for you. And I deserve and do need to ask for thanks, and be recognized. I don't know how to approach this yet, but wanted to share the thoughts you gave me. Thanks!