Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Trouble With Sweat

It's no mystery to you by now - I'm obsessed with ClassPass


I finally took the plunge to join ClassPass on Valentine's Day as the ultimate "I Love Me" gift after a rough start to 2015. My excuse for not jumping in sooner was that work was too crazy, that I didn't have any free time and that I couldn't consistently make any classes. 

Ha - no joke you guys. I've had this 13 days and tonight is my 12th class. Busy? More like wasting energy on the wrong things. 

For those concerned with how obsessive this schedule sounds I can assure you that the mix of my classes has been weighted toward love-yourself, try-something-new, explore and have fun. 

+ Yoga: 4
+ Barre/Pilates: 3 (sorry, I know these aren't the same category but they feel similar!)
+ Strength: 2
+ Stretching: 1
+ Boxing: 1

I'm generally a lift weights and show your muscles girl, so I also found it surprising that I've gravitated toward the yogi, dancy, stretchy stuff - but obviously that shows me that what I'm loving so much about ClassPass is getting out of my routine and challenging myself in more ways than just physically. 

Trying new things also means there are fun stories about my shortcomings, my misunderstandings and my non-exposure to this group fitness thing. 

Last night I had my very first 'Heated Yoga' class. I guess that's not so bad considering that my entire yoga 'practice' consists of those four classes I mentioned above in the last 13 days - but this is a situation where you really should know before you go. 

I slinked into the studio, signed the usual 'yes this is my first time, no I don't want to join, my ClassPass lets me come here and go to 60+ other studios in town for less than your one month membership. Yes, even if you give me my first-week free' waiver and was on my way to class. 

I knew that 'heated yoga' meant a heated room - but had this feeling of dark and dread when I saw that the twenty students already in class had their mats laid out with some type of towel on their mat, by their mat and by the top of their mat for their faces. The severity of the situation didn't hit me until about 35 minutes into the 60-minute class when I had actual drips of sweat in my eyes and running down my legs. 

The next 25 minutes were pure torture as all my mind and body could focus on was the slip n' slide I was experiencing, no matter what pose I was trying to hold. 

Simple math, really.  

My Sweat + Flimsy Yoga mat + Warrior II Pose = Newb. 

Lesson? Next time I'm bringing a towel. 

Silver lining? I got to nap in my sweat at the end of class in this thing they call "corpse pose". 

* I am not being compensated by ClassPass - I really really love it this much. Thought I'd mention that here. 



11 comments

Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky said...

haha one time after a brutal ashtanga session, i fell asleep in corpse pose and the instructor had to wake me up LOLOLOL

Lora Ashley said...

I've always wanted to try hot yoga...I have a feeling my experience would be much like yours lol

P!nky said...

I've heard amazing things about hot yoga, but am not sure I wanna sweat so much I'm sliding. YOu keep rocking the class pass, lady!

Amy's Fashion Blog said...

One of these day I will try hot yoga

MakeMeUpMia said...

Ha! I'm a total "lift weight, show those muscles" girl too but I love to mix in a Pure Barre or Yoga class too. It's the right balance for me :)

Anonymous said...

Non-hot fo' lyyyfe. I sweat plenty in there (TMI?) and just know that no towel will make the amount of overheatedness in a hot class feel bearable. Super pumped to hear you're enjoying your adventures in yoga though!

Trish @ The Trish List said...

I am still afraid of hot yoga. I love yoga but not sure I can get on board with drenched yoga poses.. Thanks for sharing though!

Trish
www.thetrishlist.com

BLovedBoston said...

And another reason yoga just isn't for me lol!! Way to go on getting so many classes in already! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

Nadine said...

Being hot is my worst nightmare. I have a friend that does hot yoga ll the time and she swears but it but I just don't think I could do it! I would pass the effff out! Haha~! But so awesome you are loving trying all those different classes!

Kenzie Smith said...

I've always kind of wanted to try a hot yoga but I figured I ought to get a little better and regular yoga ha ha! I can imagine towels are a must have for that class ha ha!

Kay R. said...

I keep hearing horror stories about hot yoga haha. I started yoga at home with my mat and I love it!