Wednesday, March 27, 2013

New Favorite: Spaghetti Squash

I've seen all the craze about spaghetti squash on my instagram feed and the foodie/fitness blogs I follow so I decided that I'd give it a try myself. Not only would I see what it was like for myself, I wanted to put it through the ultimate taste test - Dan!

When I bought these two I was a little bit skeptical of being able to extract noodle-like strands that would rival spaghetti out of this dense yellow gourds. I watched a few YouTube videos and got after the following steps to see what it was like for myself.





And what do you know - the finished product is delicious! At less than 50 calories per cup, this is the perfect vegetable to satisfy a noodle/carb craving and can be guiltlessly topped with sauces, meat, other veggies and even cheeses says Dan!

Here's two ways that we've enjoyed it so far in the home:

Spaghetti squash with marinara sauce and grilled chicken.

Or how I enjoyed it at work yesterday - with lentils, grilled chicken and my ultimate favorite - sriracha!

Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? How do you/would you eat yours?

heart JE

4 comments

brooke lyn said...

must.try.now.

Ashley said...

I tried spaghetti squash and think maybe I undercooked it because my "noodles" were kind of crunchy. Were yours the same? I need to try again :-)

March Summary | JUMPING JE said...

[...] Breakfast - Brownies - Steak – Soup – Cake – Spaghetti Squash [...]

Jessi said...

Ashley - sorry for taking a year to get back to you. The noodles are crunchier than the carby pasta kind, but I think that's why I like it so much - the texture! Give it another shot!