Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Tomato Basil Soup

Something you should know about me is that I have a bookmark named 'Tomato Basil Soup?' which links me to the Cafeteria menu at work. I check every Monday and literally put a plan on the calendar if Tomato Basil is an option on any day of the week.


I follow a few foodie blogs and Kelly from Eat Yourself Skinny does it right. I like that she shares recipes that are easy to follow and in-line with my taste... and my diet!


When Tomato Basil showed up from her on my Bloglovin' feed I pinned it, printed it and even checked out the Greek Yogurt Conversion Chart for Cream Cheese to cut back even more on the original recipe.


First off - I'm not against chopping onions, but doesn't this look so much more convenient at only about 20 cents more for the same amount?




Let's begin! In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onion for 3 minutes until it looks like this:


Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.



Add tomatoes (Thanks, Trader Joe's) and chopped basil leaves, bringing to a boil.







Stir in your plain greek yogurt...






...and watch the color change.







Pour all saucepan contents into a blender and blend until smooth.




Return to saucepan and stir in milk and pepper.





Return to medium-high heat and cook for 2 minutes.




Serve with grilled cheese or a slice of bread, your choice here!




What You'll Need (revised to show what I used - original recipe here)

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 cup chopped onion

3 garlic cloves, chopped

3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped

28 oz canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained

1/2 cup (4 oz) Greek Yogurt

1 1/2 cups fat-free milk

2 tsp. pepper



<3 JE

No comments